Skip to main content

This is an archival copy of the 2006–2017 Assemblies website. This information is no longer updated.

20061120 Krause Report Charge

From: president@cornell.edu
Date: Monday, 20 November 2006

Dear Cornellians,

Cornell University’s Campus Code of Conduct has not undergone a thorough review in nearly 20 years. Thus, I appreciate Interim President Rawlings’ leadership in commissioning Barbara Krause, then Senior Advisor to the President and former Judicial Administrator, to conduct a comprehensive review and to present recommendations. As requested, Ms. Krause presented to President Rawlings in April 2006 her comprehensive report and recommendations, along with proposed drafts of a “conduct code” and a “student disciplinary system.”

In May 2006 President Rawlings circulated these three documents (http://assembly.cornell.edu/CJC/KrauseReport) to many members of the campus community, including all the chairs of assemblies — and invited careful review in his accompanying letter (excerpted below):

“Since the Campus Code of Conduct and related disciplinary processes affect all members of the Ithaca campus, it is important that there be opportunities for members of the university community to comment on the proposed changes. For that reason, I ask that you read these materials with great care and be prepared to join President-elect David Skorton and others, in the fall, in discussing the recommended changes before the Board of Trustees is asked to take any action regarding them.”

Now, I propose to engage the community in a thorough and timely discussion about what is best for Cornell University with respect to the Campus Code of Conduct. Given its valued role and its informed knowledge of the strengths and shortcomings of the campus code, I hereby ask the University Assembly to gather community input and submit views and recommendations, concerning the April 2006 report, to my office by April 1, 2007. To further facilitate the process, I am establishing a working group to collaborate with the University Assembly and to assist me in my review of anticipated revisions of the code.

Members of the working group include key offices and individuals who are especially conversant about the workings of the Campus Code and whose vantage points will inform the discussion. They are: Susan Murphy, Vice President for Student and Academic Services, Charlie Walcott, Dean of the University Faculty, Alison Power, Dean of the Graduate School, Tommy Bruce, Vice President for University Communications, Mary Opperman, Vice President for Human Resources, Mary Beth Grant, Judicial Administrator, and Jim Mingle, University Counsel and Secretary of the Corporation. Vice President Murphy will chair the working group.

For this process to be most effective as well as timely, I invite all members of the community and other interested parties to submit comments, concerns and recommendations to the University Assembly as soon as possible. I will submit proposed changes for final consideration by the university’s Board of Trustees at its May 2007 meeting, in time for the next academic year starting in August of the same year.

I look forward to your counsel,

David J. Skorton

Contact CJC

109 Day Hall